Gluten Free Super Quick Mango Sorbet and Yucky Bugs Recipe

Post image for Gluten Free Super Quick Mango Sorbet and Yucky Bugs Recipe

by Carol Kicinski on March 18, 2008

So it’s official. The test results are in and I have some parasites I forgot the name of about a nano-second after hearing it and bacteria called H. pylori living in my body. They have moved in, built condos and house, erected high rises and roadways. They are partying in the streets, procreating live crazy and basically living la vita loca. It is a veritable Sodom and Gomorrah down there in my intestines.

I don’t know much about the parasites but those H. pylori are mean little suckers. They cause ulcers among other things. And this is what they look like:

Gluten Free Super Quick Mango Sorbet and Yucky Bugs

EEOWW!!!

Now that you have seen them I am sure you will agree with me that there is only one thing to do – kill the little bastards!

To that end I am taking the equivalent of a nuclear bomb of anti-biotics. But like all weapons of mass destruction it is hard to just kill the bad guys, innocent victims get caught in the cross fire.

So for the next few weeks it is kill the bad guys, suffer through the die out, replenish my immune system to help the good guys and good old clean living. Unfortunately clean living means, among other things, no sugar. So I came up with a super easy, super quick little treat. No fat, no sugar and no cooking. All you need is a good blender. And it’s a good use for my martini glasses which will not be seeing the light of day for some time to come.

But before I get into that you may be asking yourself why on earth I am bringing up this disgusting subject on what is essentially a food blog. Well because although yes, indeed this is a food blog it is a gluten free food blog and many people who are gluten intolerant are susceptible to these kinds of infections. But don’t take it from me here is what my doctor has to say:

As a doctor writing a book on the subject of gluten I am very glad that you are writing about this very important, though often overlooked consequence of celiac and gluten intolerance – hidden infections.

The mechanism, for those who are interested, revolves around the inflammation that is created in the small intestine with the ingestion of gluten for so many years. This inflammatory response weakens the immune system of the intestine thereby allowing pathogenic (disease causing) organisms to gain a foothold. Every 10 minutes our small intestines are exposed to pathogenic organisms. A healthy immune system destroys them but a compromised immune system can’t defend itself adequately.

These organisms can cause a myriad of health problems including gastrointestinal symptoms, arthritis and joint inflammation, obesity and hormone imbalance, to name a few.

Anyone with celiac or gluten intolerance is at risk for these infections which can be bacterial, parasitic, amoeba or yeast. I find a stool test to be the most accurate way to detect them but there are some labs I prefer over others due to their sensitivity and accuracy.

Hope that helps for anyone curious.
Dr Vikki Petersen

Also, if an infection is found it is critical to retest to ensure that it’s been eradicated. And lastly, since the immune system of a celiac or gluten intolerant individual can take a few years to reestablish once gluten and any offending organisms have been removed, annual testing is probably a good idea for a couple of years.

Best,

Ok, enough about yucky bugs and such here’s my easy, delish, super quick Mango Sorbet.

Gluten Free Super Quick Mango Sorbet and Yucky Bugs Recipe

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups frozen mango chunks (you get them at the grocery store all cut up and frozen)

juice of 1/2 limewater

chili powder – optional

Directions

Put mango and lime juice in blender. Pulse a few times until the consistency of granita (you can actually eat it like this if you like). Then add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is all creamy and still frozen. It will be a “soft set” frozen. Spoon into martini glass or bowl and sprinkle with chili powder if desired and eat immediately.

I encourage you to try the chili powder even if you think it sounds weird. It really adds a great touch and you can get chili powder that is not too spicy if you don’t like heat.

Servings

This Gluten Free Recipe Serves 1 Person

Cheers!

“I love your gluten free recipes - I can now have my desserts.” – F.R.

Categories:    Dessert

Peter G March 18, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Good luck in your fight against these creatures! Now just pretend your having a mangotini as you eat this.

linda March 19, 2008 at 6:38 am

Hope the antibiotics kill them all, I mean the bad ones. And I hope the good ones come back quickly.
Mango is one of my favorite fruits, love the idea of sugar free sorbet.
When I want a sugar free sugar rush I usually eat some dates.

Aran March 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Sorry to hear about the “bugs”. my godson who is autistic has had a lot of that, that’s why he is on such a strict diet. the mango sorbet looks great, refreshing and it will probably satisfy your sweet tooth. let us know how it goes!

Nick March 19, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Super quick is right, I know someone that is in love with mango I’ll have to send this to. I especially like the smooth transition from parasites to mango sorbet. And such similar topics to write about in the same post, I wonder why I never thought of it.

- Peanut Butter Boy

White On Rice Couple March 20, 2008 at 1:22 am

Yes, those are ewwww! but we were riveted to this post. We’ve been very interesting in learning more about “gluten free” eating but never knew about the high risk of parasite invasion. We first heard about it from you and will be searching out more information on the subject from your links and other sites.
Neither of us are allergic to gluten, but it always helps to understand this subject for personal knowledge.

Vittoria March 24, 2008 at 6:55 pm

I just made the mango sorbet! My blender must not be as good as yours, but it still turned out great. My mother in law isn’t such a fan of the cayenne, but I liked it. Were there any signs that led your doctor to check for parasites? I’m self diagnosed and I’m wondering if I should have my doc screen me, although I’ve been GF for at least 2 yrs with no problems. I do take acidopholis pearls everyday and drink probiotic kefir. Those might help with the good bugs. Good luck!

AngiePangie March 24, 2008 at 6:57 pm

I’m so sorry you’re ill. Best wishes as you purge the “bad guys”. I’ve been there, done that, and it was NO FUN!!

Flanboyant Eats March 24, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Hi stranger! How are you?? Other than h. palori!?! ick. Been there!

And can you please pack some of the mango sorbet for me! I haven’t had that in many years as well; I welcome the re-introduction.

Feel better! :)

Cynthia March 26, 2008 at 6:03 am

I know that you are going to win the battle you are waging against these pesky cratures!

Mansi Desai March 26, 2008 at 3:08 pm

The bug looks yucky indeed, but the delicious Mango Sorbet makes up for it Carol:) hope you get well soon!

Travis Ingersoll March 27, 2008 at 8:42 pm

My good friend Katie, who also has celiac disease, has been recently diagnosed with evil parasitic amoebas. Although she’s in the process of defeating them, they are resilient little buggers! This is probably a much more common problem for people with gluten sensitivities than people know. Thanks for sharing both your story and the physician’s information.

Naomi Devlin April 6, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Carol,

Yummy, yummy yum! I want to eat at your house.

It sounds like you might need to follow my diet, or indeed that you already are. Have you read about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? It makes sense to me anyway. There are a couple of websites, but it’s best to just read the book, Breaking The Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschild (I think that’s her name anyway).

The diet allows you to eat only the foods that you can completely digest, leaving no food hanging around in your gut for those nasty bugs and parasites to munch on. I’ll be posting on it soon, when I have digested the book a little more and can write something cogent.

I will send healing thoughts to your pyloric sphincter.

x x x

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide April 10, 2008 at 8:54 am

This looks so refreshing and I think the chili pwdr is a great compliment. I love spicy and sweet together.

Hope your health is on the mend!

I am sure have a gluten allergy is sometimes a pain to live with but it certainly opens up a world of creativity where cooking is concerned and it definately shows in your blog. So glad to have read this!

Anonymous November 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm

It is my first post here, so I would like to say hallo to all of you! It is uncommonly comfort to join your community!

Yaron March 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Some interesting info for us arthritis diagnosed people…