Gluten Free Cold Shrimp with Tropical Fruit Salsa Recipe

Post image for Gluten Free Cold Shrimp with Tropical Fruit Salsa Recipe

by Carol Kicinski on June 12, 2008

I have an idea for a travel ad for Florida in the summer. Want to hear it? Here goes:

Come to sunny Florida and experience temperatures found only in the fire and brimstone of Hell. Discover the delights of humidity ranges that are technically called icky, sticky, muggy and yucky. You will be amazed to find you have never sweated so much in your life, at how the most gossamer of fabrics feels like the heaviest of scratchy wool overcoats and how you practically grow gills trying to process the steamy tropical air.

Hmmm, maybe not.

The point is it is HOT! Blazing HOT! Unbelievably, unbearably HOT! And when I am spending what amounts to the cost of a first class vacation to Bali to air condition my house I am a tad reluctant to heat it up with the oven or even the stove. Outdoor grilling would be an option but did I mention it is HOT?

My solution for dinner when we are experiencing a tropical heat wave is to buy pre cooked shrimp and serve them on a bed of tropical fruit salsa. No cooking only defrosting, rinsing and chopping.

And the best part? Standing in front of the frozen food section at the grocery store picking out my shrimp. Ahhh, for a few minutes there I actually felt cool!

If it is not hot enough in your area to scramble your brains then by all means skewer up some raw shrimp that have been tossed with some lime juice and olive oil and throw them under the broiler or on the grill for a few minutes and enjoy!

Gluten Free Cold Shrimp with Tropical Fruit Salsa Recipe

Ingredients

1 pound extra large frozen cooked shrimp, cleaned and de-veined
2 papayas – peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch dice
2 mangos – peeled seeded and cut into ½ inch dice
½ small white onion – finely chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper – seeds and veins removed – very finely chopped
1 handful of cilantro leaves – chopped (about 1/3 of a cup)
Juice of 2 large limes – use divided
Chili powder – optional

Directions

Defrost shrimp under cold running water and pat dry.

In a bowl toss together the papaya, mango, onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro and juice of 1 lime. Put salsa on a platter or divide among individual plates.

Toss the shrimp with the juice on 1 lime briefly. Pat shrimp dry again and place atop the salsa.

Sprinkle shrimp with chili powder if using.

Servings

This Gluten Free Recipe Serves 4 – 6 People.

“I love your gluten free recipes - I can now have my desserts.” – F.R.

Categories:    Main Dishes

Katie June 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for the comment :)

I am actually going to the panhandle of FL in a week to visit family – it has been rainy where I live, and I don’t know if I’m ready for the heat!

Peter G June 13, 2008 at 4:32 am

Simple, cool and refreshing Carol. we get similar sticky, icky weather here in Sydney in the summer. have you been to Bali?…(island of the gods)

Helen June 13, 2008 at 6:13 am

We are getting the usual half-assed summer here in London at the moment but you sound like you are really suffering over there! I love the idea of the shrimp on the fruit though, it sounds very refereshing.

Naomi Devlin June 13, 2008 at 1:29 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I’m waring tights and a wooly cardigan right now.

Might have my shrimp chargrilled with roast mango coulis and plenty of hot pimenton to warm my cockles.

At least your pores are clear though huh? We have to book a sauna or go on a 10 mile cycle to achieve that cleansing sweat during an English summer….

Have been peeking through my fingers at the long range forecast for glastonbury festival and I’m taking my wet suit and waist high wellies – eek!

x x x

aforkfulofspaghetti June 14, 2008 at 1:48 am

So it’s a tad on the warm side, yes? ;-) Then your shrimp and salsa dish is just the ticket – complete with all those wonderful summery colours, too.

Krysta June 14, 2008 at 3:58 pm

I could use this recipe right now… it’s 101 degrees and I don’t know what’s for dinner and it’s so hot I can’t think!

White On Rice Couple June 14, 2008 at 9:28 pm

LOL! I laughed so hard reading your ad! I would want to come visit just because I’d like to know what it’s like to have gills!

I guess I won’t complain about todays, breezy, clear 80 degrees! The cold shrimp would be really tasty here too!

Faye June 15, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Exactly!! That’s how I describe our summers!! Where are you in Florida? I live in South Florida. Love the fruit recipe idea!! Way tooo hot to turn on the oven.

J.J. June 17, 2008 at 11:46 am

Haha! I grew up in Texas and that’s what I felt like every summer… and Florida is so much more humid!

The recipe looks yummy, I’m totally gonna try it!

Cynthia June 18, 2008 at 9:46 pm

You make some of the best food around blogsphere.

glamah16 June 19, 2008 at 9:42 am

Oh that looks scrumptious.

Tiffany June 19, 2008 at 11:50 am

That looks fabulous! It’s hot here, too-but we have no AC, so I defintely dont want to cook.

Peter M June 23, 2008 at 2:41 pm

It appears that I’ve been missing out on the party over here…delish!

Travis Ingersoll June 23, 2008 at 7:56 pm

First of all, this picture is beautiful! Second, what a creative ensemble of tastes. I plan on making this one soon as a special treat for my partner and I.

Denise June 27, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Oh Yeah! I can relate … I live in SW FLA and it is darn HOT, HUMID! Even my dog doesn’t like to go out!

Chilled wines and no cook food along with my jacuzzi that I turn the heat off and float around … you do what you gotta do!!!!

Denise

Satan June 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm

I am so going to make this!
Looks yummy!

xoxo

Deanna S. July 3, 2008 at 5:26 pm

This looks so light yet satisfying! I really want to make this tropical salsa because I recently bought the Trader Joe’s Papaya Salsa and it seemed bland and chalky. Thanks for the great idea….and it’s a beautiful photo!

lisaiscooking July 15, 2009 at 8:47 am

This is one hot summer. It may be slightly less humid in Texas, but the heat is unrelenting. This shrimp dish looks perfect for the season. Love the jalapeno with fruit.

Nancy August 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm

The weather is the same here in CP, Indiana.
I was trying to figure a way out of cooking dinner for the rest of the summer…..this will do it!
Grazie mille Bella
Ciao

Carol Kicinski August 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Prego!

Jan February 18, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Tried this one and it’s definitely delicious!

Carol Kicinski February 19, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for letting me know Jan, happy you liked it!