It is so easy to just let all your fitness plans fly out the window during the holidays. What with the added time needed for holiday shopping, all those parties, and the general busyness, staying fit seems to be the last thing on our minds.
Here are a few tips to help you keep your fitness goals this holiday season:
- Make a goal. In order to keep a goal, you have to make a goal. By making fitness goals that are realistic, you set yourself up to win not lose. If you have been on a weight loss program, rather than making a goal to lose 10 pounds during the month of December, pick a goal that is more doable – such as maintaining your weight or losing 1 pound a week. By making goals you can realistically achieve, you will stay motivated.
- Schedule your workouts. You wouldn’t go Christmas shopping at a time when you had a dentist appointment, you would go to the dentist. Figure out the most workable time for you to go to the gym and actually schedule it. Write those times down on your calendar or put them in your phone. Then keep to your schedule. Treat yourself with the same respect you would the dentist.
- Plan your calories. Think of calories the same way as you would money in your bank account. If you are going to write a check, first you need to make sure the money is in the bank account – not the other way around. If you know you are going to a party and will be consuming more than the usual amount of calories, eat lightly for a few days before and try to increase either the intensity or amount of time you work out. It is a smarter strategy than overindulging then trying to make up for it after the fact.
- Eat! If you are going to a holiday party or big dinner, do not make the mistake of not eating all day. You will arrive at the party starved and be more inclined to overindulge and make poor choices. Instead eat small, nutrient dense meals throughout the day that include lean protein, lots of veggies, and a bit of healthy fats such as avocado. Do the same the day after a big party or anytime you do happen to over indulge.
- Stay hydrated. It is so easy to forget to drink water, especially with all the holiday hustle and bustle and when the weather is cooler. But your body can not function properly is dehydrated and being dehydrated increases cravings.
The holidays are a joyous time but can also be stressful. A fit body can handle stress so much better than a run down, out of shape one. If you really think about it, sticking to your fitness goals this holiday season is one of the best things you can do!
This year, give yourself the gift of health.
Add your email address to receive posts/recipes via email