My First Article for Well Fed Net

by Carol Kicinski on March 5, 2008

Woo Hoo! I’m pretty darn excited! Why, you might ask? Well, I’ll tell you.

Are you ready?

I am now a contributing writer for the Well Fed Network under The Cooks Kitchen.

So now it is official. I am a FOOD WRITER! I tell people I am anyway but now I have proof. Just goes to show that if you say something enough and with enough conviction it really does come true.

I know I’m not writing for the New York Times but still…

I am still pretty new to blogging but I have to say that I have gotten so much pleasure from writing my blog and from interacting with other bloggers all over the world. What an amazing community of people there are out there in the blogosphere.

I do have one teensy weensy little peeve however. Maybe some of you more experienced bloggers can explain something to me. Why is it that some people only respond to comments you leave on their blog in their own comments? Isn’t that kind of like leaving a voicemail on your own phone for someone else?

And why is it that some bloggers never respond to you when you leave a comment?

Maybe it’s my own sense of manners but I feel that if someone takes the time to come visit your blog and leave a comment it is only nice to answer in some way. When I don’t hear back from bloggers that I leave a very lovely comment for I start to wonder – am I not good enough to warrant an answer? Did I offend them in some way? Am I insignificant? Hmmm . . . maybe I suffer from low self esteem.

There are so many really wonderful and considerate bloggers out there that I guess I shan’t get too concerned about those who are too busy or too important or too whatever to respond to my comments.

Cuz you know what? I am a FOOD WRITER! Woo Hoo! I am so excited to be able to share my philosophy of the abundance of gluten free living with a whole new audience of people.

You can check out my first article for the Cooks Kitchen here.

My First Article for Well Fed Net – Simply Gluten Free

Categories:    Blogging

Flanboyant Eats March 5, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Congratulations! How awesome! Can’t wait to read your stories! Please make sure to link them on your posts. I’ll be keeping up for sure.

Thanks for chiming in.

Todd Johns March 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Welcome to the Cook’s Kitchen! Gluten Free is a topic that we need to hear more about. I’m so excited to have you with us.

Oh, and I’ll be waiting for my reply comment to my comment. ;-)

linda March 6, 2008 at 1:48 am

Congratulations! I have to start doing that, say that I’m a food writer who knows ;)

I feel more or less the same way you do about commenting. If someone takes the time to comment on my blog, I comment on their blog. And if I keep commenting on someone else’s blog and I never get any response on my own blog I usually stop commenting myself. For the most part it’s just a matter of reciprocity imo.
Thanks for the reciprocal comments btw ;)

Naomi Devlin March 6, 2008 at 4:24 am

That’s fantasic Carol, your writing is great – but you knew that already no?

It’s interesting what you write about comments, because I realise that I am one of those people you berrate for commenting on their own blog and not following up the lead to the person who left the comment.

Of course I comment all over the place on other folk’s blogs, when I find something lovely, or to say hello. Sometimes I follow up a comment on someone else’s blog too. But I don’t do it to get comments back.

If I leave a comment and someone doesn’t answer it, I think, hey ho – maybe they were really busy with stuff? Maybe they read my comment and felt it didn’t need answering? Maybe they came to my blog anyway but didn’t feel the need to leave a comment or didn’t have time.

Surely commenting should be like the unconditional love you have for your children? A gift given to lift up the receiver or give them food for thought – not something you give with the proviso that it is returned to you on your terms.

You have so much talent, a lovely blog and a great heart. Please don’t let a little low self esteem cause you to read more into things than are already there.

We do love you, even if we don’t always say so.

x x x

Carrie March 6, 2008 at 7:48 am

Wonderful! HOW did you get to be a contributing writer?? I want to do that!!

Simply...Gluten-free March 6, 2008 at 8:17 am

I already answered Naomi privately via email but just feel I have to say in public that Naomi is not one of those people I am talking about, she always acknowledges my comments either by leaving a comment or sending an email. And really that’s all I am saying, it is nice to get an acknowledgement when you communicate to someone.

But I really appreciate the perspective and to see the other side of this.

Todd Johns March 6, 2008 at 8:21 am

We are always looking for more contributors for the Cook’s Kitchen and other sections of the Well Fed Network. We simply ask that you provide a minimum of two articles a month.

Contact me directly if you are interested in being a contributor.

Todd Johns March 6, 2008 at 8:23 am

Carol’s article made the front page of the Well Fed Network as well.

janie March 6, 2008 at 8:38 am

Glad I found your blog through your comment on mine! You food looks great and so do your photos. I am a passionate cook but have been finding it easier to write about travel than food and it takes so long to post the recipe!

White On Rice Couple March 6, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Oh congrats! We’ll check it out right now and bookmark that site to look for your future writings!

Aran March 6, 2008 at 3:53 pm

That’s fantastic! I loved those macaroons! I made some French macaroons this week and some grapefruit financiers and they are both gluten free. Well done!

Sondra March 6, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Well, congats to you! I have been blogging for a while and I have had a few people comment back to my comment on their own blog. Why would I go back to their blog to look for a response??? Why would they not take a minute to come to mine??? Yep- I agree with you- very rude, but I have only had a very few people do this. They must be new at it :)

The HealthNOW Doctors March 7, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Congratulations on being a real bonafide Food Writer! You deserve it!

Cinnamonda March 9, 2008 at 4:17 am

Congratulations on your article and becoming a food writer for real! Really exciting!:)I’m looking forward to reading your articles. By the way, if you manage to come up with a gluten-free version of the chocolate pudding recipe I posted on my blog, I would love to hear about that.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy March 29, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I always try to respond to every comment made on my blog. It can be very time consuming, but I do it because I truly appreciate the time that people take to visit me. I had always read that it was proper blog etiquette. I know how it feels to be ignored. There are several “popular” blogs that I visit almost daily and have never once had a comment acknowledged.

In the beginning, I tried to email every person individually, but there is no easy way to do it that I know of. Many times, I can’t even find any return email for the commenter.

I agree that it is kind of silly to expect someone to check back on your own blog for a reply, but that seems to be what most do. I have very rarely recieved an email response to a comment I’ve left on another’s blog.

I also try to visit the blogs of those who comment on mine. When you have 30 or 40 comments on a post, that translates to 30 or 40 more blogs to visit! Multiply that by 4 or 5 posts per week and it can easily take several hours a night. I’m often doing this at 2 or 3 in the morning because otherwise, I wouldn’t have time to cook my food, photograph it and write my posts!

I started blogging because I love cooking, baking and writing, and I felt that I had something worthwhile to say. Bit by bit, the guilt over commenting has taken over and my posting has become almost an afterthought. That certainly wasn’t what I intended.

I don’t know what the answer is. With my work and family responsibilities, there is only so much time I can devote to blogging. I only know that it was never my intention to offend anyone or appear not to appreciate my readers. :(

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy March 29, 2008 at 8:55 pm

P.S Congrats on the writing gig! I have been writing for the WFN for a few months now and I enjoy it. However, I’m having trouble keeping up with that too!