Gluten Free Mexican Dinner Party Part 4 – Easy Mexican Rice Recipe

Post image for Gluten Free Mexican Dinner Party Part 4 – Easy Mexican Rice Recipe

by Carol Kicinski on October 4, 2008

This is Part Four of our great gluten-free Mexican Dinner Party for 6. The humble yet ever so essential Mexican Rice.

With the use of two everyday appliances — the blender and the microwave — this recipe is super easy and no fail. Don’t like to use the microwave? No problem. It can just as easily be cooked stove-top risotto-style. A little combo of cultures with a delicious result.

Gluten Free Easy Mexican Rice Recipe

2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup finely chopped onions
1 cup risotto (Arborio rice)
1 (15-ounce) can of chopped tomatoes (I like to use fire roasted)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 clove garlic
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
Approximately 1 cup gluten free chicken stock

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chopped onions. Cook until onions are soft but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes until the rice starts to look translucent. Put onion/rice mixture into a microwave-safe casserole dish with a lid.

Put chopped tomatoes with their juice, ground cumin, garlic, and jalapeño (if using) into a blender and blend until smooth. Add enough chicken stock to make 3 cups of liquid and blend.

Add the tomato/chicken stock mixture to the rice, stir, cover with the lid, and microwave on high for about 18 to 20 minutes. Stir 3 times while cooking. Remove from microwave, stir, replace lid and let stand 5 minutes.

If not using the microwave, then add the tomato/chicken stock mixture to the rice in the skillet in 1-cup increments, stirring after each addition of liquid until fully absorbed.

Serves 6 gluten free people.

“I love your gluten free recipes – I can now have my desserts.” – F.R.

Categories:    Sides

anudivya October 4, 2008 at 8:10 am

Er… tomatoes, but love rice! I use the brown basmati rice (gluten-free) ;) but never the risotto rice. Somehow I like the long grains better :)
I just love the color of the rice!

Lauren October 4, 2008 at 8:16 am

Oh yum. I love arborio rice, I find it so creamy, and it sounds perfect with tomatoes!

SteamyKitchen October 4, 2008 at 8:19 am

You know what? I TOTALLY messed up my Mexican rice- it had nothing to do with the recipe, but I’m ashamed to say that I cannot make rice outside of my rice cooker.

Ended up re-doing the rice and making it in my rice cooker!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy October 4, 2008 at 9:30 am

Oooh! This is sooo much better than Rice-a-Roni! Love that you used arborio rice too.

Peter G October 4, 2008 at 3:22 pm

I love the colour of this Carol! And the use of the arborio…a true mix and match of cultures.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" October 5, 2008 at 1:18 pm

This is so simple (perfect for my cooking prowess) but so tasty! Is there a “Part 5” to this dinner extravaganza? How does one acquire an invite to your casa? :)

Peter M October 5, 2008 at 2:22 pm

I like the fiery red colour of the rice and the cumin is a nice touch.

Cynthia October 6, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Uhhhh, did you say rice? Count me in :)

Tiffiny Felix June 7, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I love mexican rice, but haven't been able to get it quite right. I can't wait to try this. It looks very simple, and with your ingredient list I can't see how it's not awesome! Thanks!

Dazy August 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I'm making this for dinner tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

Boudicca July 10, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I just ran across this website. I see some great reciepes here; will be making some. I made Spanish rice a couple of weeks ago, but I substituted quinoa for the rice. You could not taste a difference at all.

Ky January 2, 2012 at 12:31 am

I LOVE this recipe! NOTE: a bag of cheap medium garin rice (89 cents) worked just fine, my local grocery store is lacking and didn’t have rissoto. I never liked Spanish rice too much because it was never anything special. But this is amazing…and I can make it myself. Another awesome thing is I can use the microwave, now I love to cook but sometimes having the microwave do the work is more pleasing. I also love onions so I add a lot more than the recipe calls for and to make it vegan I add veggie broth instead. But MMM it’s so good and has a lot of flavor, it puts reataurants to shame.

Carol Kicinski January 3, 2012 at 8:28 am

So glad you enjoo0y this recipe Ky and thanks for letting me know that cheap rice works just as well! I love it when cheap will do in place of pricey!

Carolyn Y. October 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I like to make my “easy” Mexican rice with salsa that we’ve canned from the garden in place of the canned tomatoes. I love the fact that you use pantry ingredients in your recipes. It makes it SO much easier to be GF! Thank you for all of your GF recipes! I haven’t seen one yet that I can’t wait to try!

CarolKicinski October 5, 2013 at 11:54 am

Wow! How fabulous that you make your own salsa from your garden. If I can ever get enough tomatoes to grow, I will do the same. Thanks for your lovely words!