A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Shanghai

Post image for A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Shanghai

by Carol Kicinski on March 26, 2009

My husband and I have completely different styles of travel.

I check my luggage and never carry on anything but my purse. He hates to check luggage and carries on his computer, all his clothing, toiletries and enough food and water to tide him over on the off-chance that the plane must make an emergency landing on a deserted (and to date) undiscovered island for a minimum of two weeks.

He arrives at the airport approximately 6 hours ahead for a short domestic flight. I can no longer count the number of times my name has been called over the loud speaker at the airport urging me to RUN not walk to my gate.

He is always the first person on the plane. I am always the last.

I have never missed a flight. He once missed three flights in a row trying to get home for Christmas.

Now let me tell you a story about two travelers. Please keep in mind that this is purely a work of fiction and any similarity that you may find with reality is only in your head — especially if you think this story has anything to do with us!

After eighteen phone calls from her husband to make sure she was not late for her flight, was leaving plenty of time to check in, had packed enough of EVERYTHING and that there was no possibility of anything going wrong, Madame X arrived at the Tampa Airport to begin the first leg of a journey that would eventually end in Shanghai. While attempting to check her bag she was informed that her name was not listed. Upon further investigation it turns out that the ticket was for the NEXT DAY! Not only that, but the current day’s flight was fully booked!

Madame X immediately went to the ticket counter where she begged, pleaded, cried and offered various sexual favors to somehow get on that plane as she had to meet her husband in LAX and catch the midnight flight to China. Sexual favors were declined but good hard cash was accepted and she made it on the plane.

Upon arrival in the City of Angels and meeting up with Mister X, it was soon discovered that he had his dates wrong and the flight to China was for the following night.

Why tell this story? Because instead of being upset about the extra expense of additional airfare, hotel rooms and what-not, Mister X, like my husband, was so pleased to have his wife finally arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare.

Madame and Mister X had a wonderful dinner at the beach, got a great night’s sleep and went to their favorite breakfast and coffee spot: Urth Café.

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Shanghai – Simply Gluten Free

Categories:    Blogging

H.Peter March 26, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I like your travel style.
Enjoy Shanghai. Where are you staying?
If you need assistance there, my office can help.

mb March 26, 2009 at 7:25 pm

And only sleep? Oops. I didn’t write that did I? Thanks for your wonderful comment on my blog and enjoy your tip!

Steph March 26, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Hehe, hope you have a great time, and an uneventful flight back :)

Sue March 26, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I LOVED Shanghai. The city is amazing. The shopping is incredible. You have to go to the new silk market (Your hotel will tell you where it is.) These were my posts about China:
blogspot.com/search/
label/China

Have an awesome time!

GFE--gluten free easily March 27, 2009 at 3:53 am

Wow, that’s some beginning to your trip! Glad it all worked out and you made it to your favorite coffee spot together. ;-) Can’t wait to hear more as your trip progresses.

Shirley

Mariposa March 27, 2009 at 10:24 am

HA! that story rang true with my family!

we have been to the wrong airports, wrong days, wrong airlines, i’m surprised no one has ended up getting on a plane to alaska instead of aruba.. not yet anyway!!

Toni March 29, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Wow! Shanghai? I suspect you’ll come back with some lovely ideas for new recipes.

And congrats, BTW, on being listed as one of the top 20 food blogs by the NY Times!

Margaret March 30, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Isn’t this what makes trips memorable? Hope you have many more exciting stories to tell

Stephanie in Idaho April 1, 2009 at 11:28 am

I travel like your husband. I went to Brazil with my mom (who is a throw-back hippie) last year… Let’s just say… I was NEVER so happy to make that final leg flight since I couldn’t keep track of her in any one of the three stops before the last leg to Brazil. I was just SURE she would either be 1) arrested (for what, you don’t want to know) or 2) abducted (because every stop we made, she had to go outside of security to smoke… I could have killed her)… That aside, we had a SPECTACULAR time, and we made very single connection.

I LOVE that you got to go get coffee before the big trip. Enjoy your time!

Buy Coffee Online July 23, 2009 at 10:30 am

Don’t compromise on taste and quality, enjoy the best brands of coffee of the world. Visit Coffee-Buy.com now !