Thankfully Coffee is Gluten Free!

Post image for Thankfully Coffee is Gluten Free!

by Carol Kicinski on July 22, 2009

The whirl of the grinder, the hiss of the kettle as the water comes just to a boil, the air redolent with the seductive aroma of coffee as the water hits the beans, coaxing you into consciousness. Hints of chocolate, spice and smoke filling the senses and awakening the spirit.

I don’t really need coffee in the morning.

I can live with out coffee.

I am not addicted to coffee.

I can give up coffee anytime I want.

Is the damn coffee ready yet?!

Thank God coffee is gluten free!

How do you take yours?

Categories:    Misc - Fun & Crazy

Peter G July 22, 2009 at 6:59 am favourite part of the day! I average about 3 a day. A double espresso with a little hot milk and then another 2 double espressos during the day!

Debbie July 22, 2009 at 7:52 am

I don't visit Starbucks or Dutch Brothers, but I'm addicted to those little red cans of International Foods Coffee to sweeten and fatten my coffee up. Cafe Vienna is my favorite. I wish for my hips' sake I still drank it black!

Sara July 22, 2009 at 8:40 am

If it wasn't for coffee, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Sometimes I drink it black, but I usually like my coffee best with a splash of half and half.

Barbara W July 22, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I used to drink an entire pot of coffee every day – yikes!! Now I limit myself to a single cup once or twice per week, made creamy with either home-made almond or cashew milk (and sometimes even Trader Joe's soy creamer) and some raw sugar. For a real treat I use the coconut sugar that you can order from Live Superfoods.

Helene July 22, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Love coffee and it is something I can enjoy with my brother-in-law who is celiac.

H.Peter July 23, 2009 at 6:36 am

Here is how I take my coffee: With a large piece of CAKE!!!

AUTISMOMMA July 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm

After going gluten free AND casein free, it took me quite some time to find a suitable cream replacement for my coffee. I love my coffee a nice light caramel color and none of the milk substitutes were hitting the nail on the head. Finally, I figured out that what they were all missing was the high fat content of the full fat dairy cream to which I had become so accustomed to using. That's when I decided to try coconut milk. It's perfect – actually BETTER tasting than dairy cream.

Now, if I could just find a sugar replacement that is natural and doesn't taste yucky. And please don't say stevia…..BTDT as well as every other sweetener out there.

Carrie @ July 23, 2009 at 1:11 pm

sugar and creamer please, although i'm not supposed to have the creamer… just not sure hemp milk will do it for me… ;-P LOVE LOVE LOVE the new layout gal!! I need to pay you to do mine!!

Bren July 23, 2009 at 7:49 pm

girl after my own heart!

how I take mine? If you've not yet seen on twitter:

2-3 shots of cuban espresso
1/2 cup 2% steamed milk
1.5 tsp. raw sugar

one shot of cuban espresso
one shot of evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. raw sugar

Mrs. Ed July 24, 2009 at 10:57 am

I love ice cold Lattes. I have an easy recipe for a pitcher:

And since Latte's are a source of calcium…does that make them health food?

Daily Spud July 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm

First coffee of the day has to be with steamed milk. Once I've had that, people are allowed to talk to me :) (and I do remember your dedication to the cause of seeking out your morning coffee when we were in Seattle!)

Carrie July 27, 2009 at 10:15 am

whoever suggested using coconut milk in your coffee… OH MY WORD… COMPLETELY GENIUS!!! It's absolutely divine and I'm So happy because i'm supposed to cut dairy/casein and that was the one thing I still couldn't cut (and still ended up with upset tummies over…) So I tried it today and it was AMAZING!! so good! thank you thank you thank you!

Sarena Shasteen September 21, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I just came across your blog while looking around at gluten free information. My husband was just diagnosed with celiac disease and the statement you made about coffee could not be more accurate!