Gluten Free Bagel with Lox Burger
Years ago, before going truly gluten free, my husband and I had a weekly tradition. Every Sunday morning, we would wake up bright and early, walk down the oak tree studded hill we lived on to the charming downtown area of our little town of Los Gatos, Calif. and go to the Farmer’s Market. On the way to market, we would stop first for a coffee from the roasting company, then walk a couple doors down to the bagel place. Every Sunday, I ordered the same thing: an everything bagel, toasted, with scallion schmear, lox, tomato and red onion. I miss everything about those days – the wide variety of fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables, the musicians playing in the park to the delight of dancing children, my steaming cappuccino and of course, that bagel!
This gluten free salmon-burger recipe is reminiscent of that bagel. The burger itself is made from coarsely ground salmon with a hint of smokiness from smoked paprika; the spread is just like that schmear I loved, and the buns are topped with all the fixings of an everything bagel.
The gluten free buns were so simple to make thanks to Kinnikinnick’s Bread & Bun Mix – just add water, top with egg wash and some sesame and poppy seeds, granulated garlic and onion, and bake in oven-proof ramekins that give you that perfect burger bun shape.
This salmon-burger has it all – except a name! That’s where you come in.
Here’s the challenge – read through the recipe and come up with a fun, creative, clever name for it.
You can enter as many as 5 names if you like but they all have to be different and submitted in individual comments.
You have until Sunday, June 30th, midnight (EST) to enter in your name(s). The next day, I will pick a winner and officially change the name of this recipe. The winner will be announced in this post plus I will send that person an email, so make sure you provide a legit email address.
This isn’t random or computer generated! I am picking the name I like best!
The winner will receive a case of Kinnikinnick’s Bread & Bun Mix.
I can only ship to an address in the United States or Canada. If you live in another country, you can go ahead and enter, but you need to provide me with a U.S. or Canadian shipping address.
For all the official rules, go here.
So, what would you name this gluten free recipe?
Update – Thank you Alisa for coming up with the winning name for this gluten free recipe – Bagel with Lox Burger! Enjoy your case of Kinnikinnick’s Gluten Free Bread and Bun Mix! Thanks to all who participated – such great names it was hard to pick a winner!
Gluten Free Bagel with Lox Burger
- 2 pounds boneless salmon fillets
- 1 whole lemon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- Olive oil
- 6 ounces cream cheese (or dairy free cream cheese alternative), at room temperature
- 4 scallions , white and green parts, minced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 2 large tomatoes , sliced
- ½ red onion , sliced
- 6 burger buns (recipe follows)
- Remove the skin from the salmon fillets and place in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse several times to coarsely grind the meat. Put the ground salmon in a mixing bowl, finely grate the lemon peel into the bowl (save the lemon), add the dill, smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper and mix well. Form into 6 equal sized patties. Brush a little olive oil over the top of each burger.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and heat. Cook the burgers 3- 5 minutes per side; 3 minutes for pink inside, 5 for cooked through.
- Combine the cream cheese with the juice of the lemon, a pinch of salt and pepper and the minced scallions. Stir to combine.
- Cut the burger buns in half. To toast, spread the cut sides with some softened butter, dairy free butter or oil and toast for a few seconds in a hot, dry skillet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.