Gluten Free Almond Pound Cake with Cranberry Syrup
Almond Pound Cake:
- Gluten-free, nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 large orange
- 2 cups fresh or frozen whole cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped for serving
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray an 8-cup bundt pan liberally with cooking spray.
- Crumble the almond paste into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add 1½ cups sugar and process until the mixture looks like coarse sand. Add the butter and process until the mixture starts to ball up in the processor. With the machine running, add the eggs one at a time, letting the machine run for a few seconds between each addition. Add the vanilla. Turn the machine off and add the flour, salt, and baking powder. Process until the batter is combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then flip onto a serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Grate the zest of the orange finely into a saucepan. Squeeze the juice and measure. Add water if needed to bring it to a total of ½ cup. Add the juice, cranberries, and sugar to the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer until the berries begin to pop, about 7 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove half the cranberries and reserve. Pour remaining berries and sauce into a food processor or blender and puree. Stir in the reserved berries.
- Top slices of cake with cranberry syrup and whipped cream. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.