Traditional Homemade Stuffing
- 1 loaf (about 12 pieces) gluten-free bread
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup peeled and diced tart apple
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (or 1 tablespoon ground sage, 1 teaspoon ground marjoram, ½ teaspoon savory, and ½ teaspoon thyme)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth (plus ¼ cup more if needed)
- Use a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Toast the bread slices in the oven on large baking sheets at 300ºF for 20 to 30 minutes. While the bread is toasting, add the onion, celery, apple, and parsley to the slow cooker. Add the melted butter and seasoning. Stir well. When the bread is done, cut it into ½-inch cubes. Add the bread to the slow cooker. Toss very well with the butter, chopped vegetables, and spices. When the bread is fully coated, pour in 1 ½ cups of broth. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, stirring every 45 minutes.
- When finished, the bread will have browned a bit on the top and around the edges. It will be hot throughout. It can stay on warm for 2 hours before serving, if needed, and can remain on the warm setting throughout the duration of your party.
- Stir again before serving. If you’d like a bit more moisture, you can add ¼ cup more broth (or as much as you desire).
10 to 12 (½ cup per serving)
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.