Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces whole cranberries (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 2 oranges, juiced (½ cup juice)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Use a 2-quart slow cooker or place a heavy oven-safe dish into your large slow cooker insert to create a smaller cooking vessel.
- Rinse the cranberries and put them into your slow cooker. Add the orange juice and water. Add the sugars, vanilla (if using), and cinnamon. Stir. There will be an awful lot of liquid, and the cranberries will float and you’ll wonder how on earth it could possibly turn into cranberry sauce. It will. I promise.
- Cover and cook on high. It will take about 3 hours. Stir every hour or so. When the skin from the cranberries has softened, the cranberries will “pop” when pushed with a spoon up against the side of the crock. It wasn’t until about 2 hours in that my cranberries were soft enough to do this. Smoosh all of the cranberries. Stir well.
- Now take the lid off of your cooker and heat on high for 30 to 45 minutes to allow the steam to escape. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 16 (2 tablespoons per serving)
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.