Coconut Fish Sticks
- Olive oil, for brushing the pan
- 1 ½ pounds tilapia filets
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon gluten-freetamari sauce (such as San-J)
- 1 large egg*
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Gluten-free non-stick cooking sprayc
- ½ cup mayonnaise*
- Position oven racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and preheat to 400ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and brush generously with olive oil.
- Cut the tilapia filets in half lengthwise down the center line. Halve again lengthwise, then cut in half crosswise.
- Beat the egg in a shallow bowl with 1 teaspoon tamari. Place the coconut flakes on a plate.
- Dip the strips of fish into the egg, shaking off the excess. Then dip them into the coconut, pressing to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheets and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake until golden brown and the fish feels firm to the touch, 15 – 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom halfway through.
- Whisk the remaining ¼ cup tamari with the mayonnaise. Serve the fish sticks with the sauce.
*for egg free use vegan mayonnaise in place of the egg and mayonnaise– spread some vegan mayo on the fish then coat with the coconut flakes.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.