Rustic Potato Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds leeks, trimmed and cleaned, white and light green parts chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and potatoes.
- Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish bowls of the soup with chopped chives.
Cook’s Note: You can also puree this soup for a more refined and elegant option. After the potatoes are tender, puree the soup in batches in a blender (use caution when pureeing hot liquids!) or make quick work of it right in the pot with an immersion blender.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.