Butternut Squash & Watercress Pasta
- 2 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¾ inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon Kosher or fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 12 ounces brown rice gluten-free penne pasta
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (omit for nut-free)
- 2 cups watercress, thick stems removed.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet and toss to coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil,½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until the squash is soft and starting to brown, flipping the squash one or two times while roasting for even browning.
- Place the walnuts, if using, in a dry skillet and toast over medium heat until brown and fragrant, about 4 – 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Reserve about a cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and rinse with hot water. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Add the roasted butternut squash, ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water, and the watercress. Stir to combine. Add a little more pasta water if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve the pasta with an extra drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts (if using).
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.