- 8 ounces dark chocolate (semisweet, bittersweet, or dairy-free) or good quality chocolate chips
- 8 ounces heavy cream or full fat coconut milk (shake the can well before measuring)
- tablespoons flavored liqueur such as coffee, mint, berry, orange (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chop the chocolate evenly into small pieces. (Alternately, you can use good quality chocolate chips that contain no wax fillers.) Place the chocolate in a mixing bowl.
- Bring the cream and liqueur (if using) just to a boil over medium high heat. Stir the vanilla into the hot cream. Pour it over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until the chocolate and cream are fully combined and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- For coating cakes, place the cake on a wire rack over a piece of waxed or parchment paper. Pour the ganache over the cake beginning in the center, then slowly pouring around the edges, allowing the ganache to drip down the sides and cover the cake. Let it stand at room temperature until the glaze hardens.
- You can speed up the process by placing the coated cake in the refrigerator but the ganache will lose some of its shine. To make whipped frosting, place the ganache into the freezer and chill, stirring every 5 minutes, until the ganache is cooled throughout but still soft. Beat with cold beaters until fluffy, 2 – 4 minutes.
Makes 1½ cups ganache.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.