Kale, Sausage, Squash, and Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups reserved crumbled Italian sausage, onion, and squash mixture from the night before (if you did not make the Savory Baked Apples recipe, see recipe directions that follow for an alternative)
- 1 Yellow Hannah sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 carrots or parsnips (or a combination of both), peeled and sliced diagonally
- 4 – 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups gluten-free low sodium chicken broth (or homemade bone broth that has been seasoned with salt and pepper to taste)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini or northern beans, drained and rinsed well
- 3 cups thinly sliced kale leaves (tough stems removed)
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- ½ teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce or chipotle tabasco sauce, if you like a kick to your soups (add this after you serve the children)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, for garnish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the reserved sausage, onion, and squash mixture and heat through. (Note: If you do not have the sausage mixture already prepared, then sauté 1 ½ pounds Italian sausage, 1 yellow onion, and 1 peeled, seeded, and diced acorn squash together for about 5-7 minutes, until cooked through. Then continue on with the recipe.)
- Add the sweet potato cubes and carrot and/or parsnip pieces and sauté for another 5 minutes. Then add the garlic, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook, covered, for 35 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Then stir in the tomatoes, beans, kale, and cabbage. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 – 15 minutes longer. At this point you can add your hot sauce for heat, if you choose. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls and top each bowl with 1 – 2 tablespoons of the fresh basil.
Serves 4-6 (with leftovers)
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.