Mexican Chicken Polenta Pizzas
- 4 cups reduced-sodium, gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups low-fat milk or unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole-grain, stone-ground yellow cornmeal (such as Bob’s Red Mill)
- Freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- 1 cup reduced-sodium, gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces boneless,
- skinless chicken breasts, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 2/3 cup cooked black beans (or drained, rinsed black beans from a can)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese.
- Prepare the polenta: Add the broth, water, milk, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Slowly pour the cornmeal in while whisking to incorporate. Continue cooking over medium to medium-high heat for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Pour the polenta onto a 9×13-inch rimmed baking sheet coated with gluten-free cooking spray or olive oil and smooth into an even layer using a spatula. Cool for 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Make the shredded chicken topping: Stir together the broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion, and garlic in a sauté pan. Add the chicken. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken and shred into small bits using two forks. Add the chicken back to the pan along with the black beans and lime juice. If much liquid remains, cook over high heat to let it reduce. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Assemble the pizzas: Preheat the oven 425ºF. Remove the firm polenta from the refrigerator and uncover. Grease a second 9×13-inch rimmed baking sheet with olive oil or gluten-free cooking spray. Using a 2 ¼-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out circles of polenta and carefully transfer to the second sheet. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until browned and firm on the bottom. Flip each circle and top with some of the chicken mixture, dividing it evenly among the rounds. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.Transfer to a serving platter and top with salsa, sour cream,guacamole, and/or cilantro.
About 28 Mini pizzas (depending on size).
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.