Frozen Banana Cream Tart with Chocolate Crumble
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 ¾ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (packed) pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, room temperature (not melted)
- 2 large bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen (about 1 heaping cup banana slices)
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 tablespoons honey or Grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover with water. Set aside to soak at room temperature for at least 3 hours or up to 12 hours.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process the almonds for about 30 seconds or until finely ground.
- Add the cocoa powder and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add the dates and coconut oil. Process until the dates are incorporated and the mixture holds together when squeezed between your fingers. Reserve about ¾ cup (loosely packed) of the crust mixture.
- Press the remaining crust mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Freeze the crust.
- Clean the food processor and fit it with the steel blade again. Drain the cashews and add them to the food processor with the coconut milk, honey, and vanilla. Process for about 30 seconds until creamy.
- Add the frozen banana slices and process until the mixture is thick and smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. (Alternatively, you can blend the filling in a blender instead of a food processor.)
- Pour the filling into the frozen crust and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
- Crumble the remaining crust mixture over the top of the filling and press very gently to adhere.
- Return the tart to the freezer for at least 2 hours or until firm. Thaw at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, then cut into slices and serve. (Store leftover slices in the freezer.)
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.