Vietnamese Napa Cabbage Chicken Salad
- 2 pounds (910g) boneless, skinless chicken
- 6 cups (420g) thinly shredded cabbage (regular or Napa)
- 1 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs: rau ram (Vietnamese coriander), mint, basil, or cilantro
- ¼ cup (27g) shredded carrots
- Crushed roasted peanuts
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon crushed or
- grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
For the fish sauce dressing:
- ¼ cup (60ml) fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chile, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
Make the chicken:
- In a large bowl, combine all the chicken marinade ingredients. If your pieces of chicken are thick, place them between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet to an even ½-inch (12mm) thickness.
- Remove the plastic wrap and add the chicken to the marinade. Let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat a grill or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken until it is browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Let cool, then shred or chop the chicken.
Make the fish sauce dressing:
- In a medium bowl or large jar, combine all the dressing ingredients with ¾ cup (180 ml) water and mix well.
- Allow the sugar to completely dissolve before using. (You can store the dressing in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.)
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, herbs, and carrots.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the cabbage and toss to combine.
- Add dressing to taste before serving.
- Top the salad with the peanuts and serve.
Editor’s Note: Make sure to use gluten-free fish sauce in this recipe to ensure that it’s safe for your needs.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.