For the shortbread:
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 20 drops orange stevia liquid
- 1 cup raw walnut pieces
- 6 tablespoons brown rice flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
Optional glaze and garnish:
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread: In a small bowl, combine the coconut sugar, coconut nectar, orange zest, orange juice, vanilla, and stevia.
- Whisk to begin dissolving the sugar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, process the walnuts, brown rice flour, coconut flour, glutinous rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt to a fine powder.
- Pour the wet mixture in a ring over the dry ingredients and process again just until the mixture comes together in a moist dough.
- Pat the dough evenly into the pan.
- Using a sharp knife, score the top of the dough to create 25 squares, then poke holes across the top of each square with a fork.
- Bake for 28-35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until the edges are golden.
- Cool completely in the pan.
- Once cool, invert onto a cutting board, then flip again so that the scored side faces up.
- Carefully cut through the scored lines to separate the cookies.
Make the glaze:
- Mix the coconut sugar and orange juice in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the cookies, or use a teaspoon and drizzle a little glaze over each cookie.
- Immediately sprinkle with grated zest as garnish.
- Allow to dry before storing.
Makes 25 cookies
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.