- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, divided use
- Sour cream, dairy-free sour cream, or applesauce (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Grate the potatoes with the large holes of a box grater.
- Soak the potatoes in a large bowl of ice water for 1-2 minutes.
- Place in a kitchen towel and squeeze out all of the liquid.
- Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Peel the onion and grate it into the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add the egg, salt, and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, drop 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture per latke into the hot oil.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown, then flip and cook for another 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the latkes from the pan and place on the paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining latkes.
- Continue until all of the latkes are fried.
- Add more oil as needed between batches, letting the oil heat fully each time before adding the potato mixture.
- Serve with sour cream, applesauce, or both.
Makes 20-24 latkes
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.