Carrot Ginger Soup with Quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds carrots (about 5 large), chopped
- 2 medium turnips, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, turnips, onion, and shallot and cook until the vegetables have started to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for another minute.
- Pour the broth and water over the vegetables.
- Stir in the quinoa, salt, pepper, and spices.
- Bring the soup to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend on high until completely smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return to the pot, taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.