Serve this alongside your holiday meal or use as a base for cornbread stuffing. This pairs beautifully with soup or stew on a chilly fall evening, too!
Servings: 10 servings
- 1⅓ cups (160 g) gluten-free yellow or white cornmeal
- 1⅓ cups (160 g) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons (6 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- 1½ cups (355 mL) buttermilk or dairy-free substitute
- ⅓ cup (65 g) sugar
- 3 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons (120 g) unsalted butter or dairy-free substitute, melted, divided
- Place a 9- or 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sugar, eggs, and 6 tablespoons melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, add 2 tablespoons butter to the pan, and swirl to coat. Pour in the batter, smooth the top, and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 282 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g35%
Vitamin A 411IU8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.