- 4 cups peeled and shredded rutabagas
- 3 cups peeled and shredded turnips
- 1½ cups cooked and mashed butternut squash
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Grapeseed oil, for frying
- Using a flour sack kitchen towel, squeeze out any extra water from the shredded turnips and rutabagas.
- Add all of the ingredients except the oil to a large bowl and mix and mash. (Using your hands is the easiest!)
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add approximately ¼ cup of mixture to the skillet for each latke.
- Depending on the size of your skillet, limit the amount of latkes cooking so you don’t lower the heat of the oil. This will cause uneven cooking and burning.
- Cook latkes for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and drain.
- Cook remaining latkes, adding more oil as needed.
- Serve the latkes topped with apple slices sautéed in butter or ghee, unsweetened applesauce, or – if you tolerate dairy – full-fat sour cream and chives.
Makes 12-15 latkes
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.