Easy Mexican Rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Ro Tel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil and chopped onions.
- Cook until the onion is soft but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. The rice will start to look translucent.
- Transfer the mixture to a microwave safe casserole dish with a lid.
- Pour the cans of tomatoes with their juice, garlic and ground cumin into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add enough water to make 3 cups of liquid and blend.
- Add the tomato mixture to the rice, stir and microwave on high for about 18-20 minutes.
- Stir 3 times while cooking.
- Remove from the microwave, stir, replace the lid and let stand for 5 minutes.
(If not using the microwave method, then add the tomato mixture to the rice in the skillet in 1 cup increments, stirring after each addition of liquid until it is totally absorbed.)
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.