Heat up the grill for this Argentinean- inspired salad. Add Romaine lettuce and onions together on the grill and top with balsamic vinegar and goat cheese.
Servings: 6 Servings
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 heads Romaine lettuce hearts washed and dried well
- 1 medium white onion about ½ pound
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil until reduced by half and is thick and syrupy – about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Leaving the root ends attached, cut the Romaine lettuce hearts into quarters vertically. Cut the onion in half vertically and remove the peels. Cut each onion half into 6 vertical slices. Brush the lettuce quarters with olive oil and toss the onion slices with olive oil.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Grill the lettuce quarters about 1-2 minutes on each side. You want them to start to brown but not to get too soft. Remove and transfer to a platter. Grill the onion slices until browned and soft, about 5 minutes. Scatter over the lettuce quarters. Drizzle the balsamic syrup over the lettuce and onions. Drizzle with some olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and top with the crumbled goat cheese.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 85 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
Vitamin A 5115IU102%
Vitamin C 3.6mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.