Sweet Onion Dip
This game day treat is sure to score big points with your friends and family.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or dairy-free butter
- 2 large sweet white onions about 1 pound, diced
- 1½ teaspoons kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream or dairy-free alternative
- Juice of 2 lemons about ¼ cup lemon juice
- 5-10 dashes hot sauce
- Gluten-free chips or sliced vegetables for serving
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the onions, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and browned, about 45 minutes. Let cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Stir in the onions and taste. Add more salt, pepper, or hot sauce if desired. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours. (Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.) Serve with chips or sliced vegetables.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.