If you like your cornbread to have a really lovely crust, bake it in a cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven while it is preheating. Grease the hot skillet, add the batter, and bake. Serve with a piping hot bowl of chili – it will warm your soul!
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups dairy-free milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups gluten-free cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil grapeseed oil, or melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease an 8- or 9-inch baking dish generously with cooking spray.
Combine the dairy-free milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the milk mixture, oil, and maple syrup and stir until fully combined.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until browned, the top feels firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Cut into squares and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.