Gluten Free Vegan “Sausage” and Pepper Pizza
If you love sausage, peppers, and pizza – this Gluten Free Vegan “Sausage” and Pepper Pizza recipe is for you. Especially if you happen to be gluten free and vegan. But honestly, even if you’re not vegan, I can pretty much guarantee you’re gonna love this recipe.
It all started with some pretty red and orange peppers that were calling my name from the farm stand. Images of sausage and peppers danced in my head. But I needed to make a vegan recipe and was in the mood for pizza so I thought, “Why not?”
For the vegan sausage part of this recipe I used Kim’s Simple Meals Organic Breakfast Sausage mix, a gluten free and vegan just-add-water mix that is simple, delicious, and nutritious.
The basil garlic pesto really brings this dish together. I spread it on some gluten free vegan pizza crusts I picked up at the store, then drizzled even more on the pizza after it came out of the oven.
This recipe should probably serve 4 – 6 people, but I am a little embarrassed to say I ate a whole pizza all by myself. Yeah, it was that good!
Gluten Free Vegan “Sausage” and Pepper Pizza Recipe
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 2 cups water
- 1 7-ounce box Kim’s Simple Meals Organic Breakfast Sausage Mix
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium white or yellow onion cut in half then sliced thinly
- 2 peppers yellow,red, orange or a combination, seeded, deveined, and sliced about ¼-inch thick
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 gluten free vegan pizza crusts 8 – 9 inch
- 2 or 2/3 cups vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- 4 tablespoons vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Bring the water to boil in a saucepan. Take off the heat and stir in the sausage mix. Let sit until thickened, 3 – 5 minutes. Scoop the mixture with a large ice cream scoop onto the prepared baking sheet. With a fork or spatula, flat the balls into patties. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and bake another 15 minutes. Let cool. Crumble the patties.
- Make the basil garlic pesto – In a small food processor or blender, combine the basil leaves and garlic and pulse until coarsely ground. Add ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, the white wine, and ½ cup olive oil. Process until smooth.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and the crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and peppers soften, about 6 minutes. Add the crumbled sausage and cook for another minute, stirring.
- Raise oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Brush the pizza crust generously with some of the basil garlic pesto and save the rest for serving. Bake for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Spread each crust with 1 1/3 cups vegan mozzarella, top with the sausage and pepper mixture and bake for another 7 – 8 minutes or until the crust is browned and the cheese is melted. Sprinkle each pizza with 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan and drizzle the rest of the basil garlic pesto over the pizzas.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.