Gluten Free Moroccan Spiced Tomato Soup Recipe
Don’t let the unusual pairing of almond butter and tomatoes deter you – this soup is a spectacular soup-as-a-meal, and one that will charm everyone who tries it. Thick, rich, spicy, and filling, this soup offers all the complex carbs, protein, and healthy fats you’ll need to be fully nourished. Pair with a thick slice of crusty gluten-free bread and dinner is good to go.
Vegan Moroccan Spiced Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion very finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 cup smooth natural almond butter
- ⅓ cup sugar-free ketchup
- ¼-½ teaspoon ground cloves to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free hot sauce or
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 cups water more or less, as needed
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until soft and translucent, 5-8 minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes with liquid into the pot along with the almond butter and stir well to mix. Add the remaining ingredients and combine well.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The soup can scorch easily, so take care that the heat isn’t too high. Serve immediately. Can be frozen.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.