Gluten Free Ratatouille Sandwiches Recipe
If it’s too cold to go outside and barbecue, that’s OK! You can still get all the flavor and smokiness of an old-fashioned cookout in your kitchen, in your very own slow cooker.
This is one of my favorite indoor barbecue recipes, I hope you enjoy it!
I love how the vegetables break down and create a delicious gravy after slow cooking all day. Cooked eggplant is the star of this dish, and it blends with the red onion and bell peppers in such a wonderful way.
This indoor barbecue recipe includes lots of healthy fresh produce that cook into a gravy in the slow cooker.
- 1 eggplant peeled, quartered, and sliced
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 2 small yellow summer squashes thinly sliced
- 3 ripe tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup prepared pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 gluten-free hamburger buns or hoagie rolls toasted
- 8 slices Swiss or provolone cheese
Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Put the eggplant, onion, bell peppers, zucchini, squash, and tomatoes into the insert. Add the pasta sauce, oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until the vegetables have broken down quite a bit and the onion is translucent. Serve on toasted gluten-free buns with a slice of cheese.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.