Roasted Root Vegetable Kale Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Oven-roasted root vegetables are one of my favorite parts of the season. This roasted root vegetable salad has complex carbs needed to fuel you through shoveling snow and winter sports. (Good luck with that, I’ll be in the lodge sipping my wine, not breaking a hip.) I’ve eaten this both hot and chilled and am happy either way. Then again, I’ve never met a squash I didn’t like.
Paleo Roasted Root Vegetable Kale Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing Recipe
For the salad:
- 1 pound beets peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into large rounds
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound parsnips peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large rutabaga peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pecans
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 5-6 large kale leaves torn into small pieces
For the dressing:
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, combine the root vegetables, cranberries, pecans, oil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and maple syrup. Toss to coat. Spread evenly on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Roast for about 45 minutes, tossing halfway through. Set aside.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a food processor or blender. Add remaining dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Place kale in bowls, stir in the warm root vegetables, and top with avocado dressing.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.