Family Favorite Meatball Soup Recipe
This soup takes minutes to prepare and is hearty enough for a full meal when you serve it with some crusty gluten-free French bread.
This recipe was part of a “cook once, eat twice” spread in the magazine that offered ways to repurpose your leftovers from one recipe to another. To see where the leftovers used in this recipe came from, check out this Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatball Subs recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 3 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 32-ounce containers chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh basil
- Leftover meatballs
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- Gluten-free French bread for serving
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or stockpot.
Sauté onion and carrots over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, and basil, and bring to a low boil.
Lower to simmer and let cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add meatballs and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until warmed through.
Add cooked rice, salt, and pepper.
Top with cheese and parsley and serve with toasted French bread, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.