Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatball Subs
With the surprise of melted mozzarella inside, everyone loves these meatballs. And with only two ingredients for the meatballs, they’re so easy to throw together!
This recipe was part of a “cook once, eat twice” spread in the magazine that offered ways to repurpose your leftovers from one recipe to another. To see what you can do with the leftovers from this recipe, check out this delicious Family Favorite Meatball Soup recipe.
Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatball Subs Recipe
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 24-ounce jar gluten-free marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh basil roughly torn or chopped
- 4 gluten-free French bread rolls or loaves warmed or toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Divide sausage into 32 even portions and place a mozzarella ball in the center of each. Mold sausage around the mozzarella ball until cheese is completely covered. Place, spacing evenly, on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
- While meatballs are baking, heat oil in a pan. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add marinara sauce and red pepper flakes and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When meatballs are finished, add half of them to the pan and reserve the remaining meatballs for the next evening’s meal. Add half the fresh basil and let simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the subs, place 2-3 meatballs and sauce in each roll or loaf, top with remaining fresh basil, and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.