Egg-Free Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
This luscious egg free lemon pie filling is easy to whip up. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free. The gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free meringue topping is made with aquafaba (the water in a can of garbanzo beans). Adding cream of tartar and guar gum or xanthan gum and continuing to beat will help thicken this egg-free meringue. The lemon juice enhances the flavor of this pie topping.
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract , more to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice , optional (gives heightened flavor)
- 1 (9-inch) gluten-free pie crust
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (not coconut beverage)
- 10 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder or yellow food coloring , optional
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon zest , optional
Drain liquid from the can of garbanzo beans into a mixing bowl. (Set drained garbanzo beans aside and save them for another use.)
Beat bean liquid on high speed for 1 minute. Add cream of tartar and gum and beat on high 1 to 2 minutes.
Add sugar and vanilla and beat on high speed until very stiff.
Add lemon juice, if using, and beat until combined.
Bake unfilled pie shell according to package directions. Let cool.
In a medium saucepan, mix cornstarch with cold water until smooth. Add coconut milk, lemon juice, sugar and turmeric and mix well.
Place mixture on stovetop on medium heat and cook until mixture starts to thicken. Lower heat to simmer.
Stir in vanilla and continue cooking until mixture is very thick.
Pour mixture into cooled baked pie shell. Sprinkle the top with lemon zest, if using.
Let filling cool. Top with egg-free meringue topping by spooning the topping onto pie and swirling it into peaks.
To brown the meringue to look like traditional meringue, place pie under preheated broiler 1 to 2 minutes, watching closely to keep from burning. Rotate pie to brown evenly. Refrigerate 1 hour and serve.
*The meringue topping makes enough for two 9-inch pies.
Written by Alicia Woodward, originally published in Gluten Free & More. Originally published in 2015. Recipe adapted with permission from “The Egg-Free Cookbook: Get Back the Foods You’ve Been Missing” (Little Things Books) by Tabitha Elliott. All rights reserved.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.