Egg-Free Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
This luscious egg free lemon pie filling is easy to whip up. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free. The gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free meringue topping is made with aquafaba (the water in a can of garbanzo beans). Adding cream of tartar and guar gum or xanthan gum and continuing to beat will help thicken this egg-free meringue. The lemon juice enhances the flavor of this pie topping.
Egg-Free Lemon Meringue Pie
For the Egg-Free Meringue Topping:
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract , more to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice , optional (gives heightened flavor)
For the Pie:
- 1 (9-inch) gluten-free pie crust
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (not coconut beverage)
- 10 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder or yellow food coloring , optional
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon zest , optional
For the Meringue Topping:
- Drain liquid from the can of garbanzo beans into a mixing bowl. (Set drained garbanzo beans aside and save them for another use.)
- Beat bean liquid on high speed for 1 minute. Add cream of tartar and gum and beat on high 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat on high speed until very stiff.
- Add lemon juice, if using, and beat until combined.
For the Pie:
- Bake unfilled pie shell according to package directions. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, mix cornstarch with cold water until smooth. Add coconut milk, lemon juice, sugar and turmeric and mix well.
- Place mixture on stovetop on medium heat and cook until mixture starts to thicken. Lower heat to simmer.
- Stir in vanilla and continue cooking until mixture is very thick.
- Pour mixture into cooled baked pie shell. Sprinkle the top with lemon zest, if using.
- Let filling cool. Top with egg-free meringue topping by spooning the topping onto pie and swirling it into peaks.
- To brown the meringue to look like traditional meringue, place pie under preheated broiler 1 to 2 minutes, watching closely to keep from burning. Rotate pie to brown evenly. Refrigerate 1 hour and serve.
Written by Alicia Woodward, originally published in Gluten Free & More. Originally published in 2015. Recipe adapted with permission from “The Egg-Free Cookbook: Get Back the Foods You’ve Been Missing” (Little Things Books) by Tabitha Elliott. All rights reserved.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.