Which Brand of Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup is Best?
This time of year, we become a hotline for baking and cooking questions. At the top of the list: “Where can I find dairy-free, gluten-free cream of mushroom soup?”
The green bean casserole dish was intended to be a simple one using Cream of Mushroom Soup, French Green Beans, and Fried Onion Rings and promoting the products necessary to make the recipe. But it’s always been so off-limits for those of us who are gluten free. Add a dairy intolerance and this dish was next to impossible to re-create.
This Thanksgiving we can be thankful for the several commercial cream of mushroom soup products that are gluten-free. Some are even dairy-free. Most are available at your local supermarket, too.
Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Brands
- Pacific Natural Foods Organic Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup, contains dairy
- Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup (Vegetable Classics), contains dairy
- Gluten Free Café Cream of Mushroom Soup, contains dairy
- Health Valley Organic Cream of Mushroom Soup, contains dairy
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Brands
- Imagine Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Vivian’s Live Again Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix, dehydrated mix
Make Your Own GF Cream of Mushroom Soup
If you want to make a hearty cream soup without adding cream, there are several ways to create a “creamy” taste without using dairy. In many recipes, the simple substitution of coconut or almond milk in place of dairy milk will impart that silky, rich taste.
For those who can tolerate nuts, cashew cream (cashews soaked in water overnight, drained and pureed) is a rich, tasty substitute.
Don’t forget your veggies, too. Try simply pureeing the soup ingredients without adding any cream. Potatoes, cauliflower and carrots all add body and a creamy consistency to soups.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , coconut oil or oil of choice
- ¼ cup shallots , finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound mushrooms , white button, crimini, Portobello or wild mushroom blend, sliced
- 1 pound Asian mushrooms , such as Shiitake, Oyster or Maitake, sliced
- 2 carrots , finely chopped
- 1 celery rib , finely chopped
- ¼ cup wine (dry vermouth or sherry)
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain dairy-free yogurt
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat oil in a large (6 quarts or larger) pot over medium heat. Sauté shallots sprinkled with salt and crushed red pepper for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened but not browned. Add mushrooms, carrots and celery and sauté for an additional 10 minutes until liquid released by mushrooms disappears. Stir occasionally.
- Deglaze pan with wine and cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add yogurt.
- Puree in batches in a blender or food processor. Be careful when pureeing hot liquids. Do not fill blender or food processor bowl more than half way and cover with a cloth while blending to avoid being splattered.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
Written by Beth Hillson. Recipe by Sueson Vess. originally published in Gluten Free & More.
Like this article? Here are a few other things you might like:
- Get some gluten-free Thanksgiving recipes.
- Check out our delicious gluten-free soup recipes
- Entertaining guests? Check out our gluten-free recipes for holidays and entertaining.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.