Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Slice Recipe
Imagine plump, juicy, seasonal cherries encased in a beautifully moist chocolate coconut cake and topped with luscious chocolate ganache and a sprinkling of shredded organic coconut. This cake is a collision of delicious sweet and sour ingredients and contrasting textures. Great for those new to baking, as it does not require much skill and you really can’t get it wrong!
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter chopped
- 250 grams 70% dark baking chocolate chopped
- 1 cup superfine granulated sugar or caster sugar
- 6 large eggs lightly whisked
- ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour sifted
- ¾ cup shredded coconut sifted, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup raw cacao powder sifted
- 2-3 cups fresh cherries pitted
- 7 tablespoons half-and-half or pouring cream
- 150 grams 70% dark baking chocolate finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or glucose syrup
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Combine butter and chocolate in heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir to combine.
Add sugar, eggs, flour, coconut, and cacao, and stir to combine.
Add pitted cherries and stir to combine.
Pour into a lined rectangular baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
While the cake cools, make the ganache. Heat the half-and-half in a saucepan until it simmers. Remove from heat, add chocolate and corn syrup, and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until just combined to avoid splitting.
Spread ganache on the cake and decorate with extra coconut.
Tip: You need fresh, juicy cherries for a deep cherry flavor and extra moistness, so I would suggest only making this cake when cherries are in season. Frozen cherries won’t work.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.