Gluten-Free Make-Ahead Tuscan Chicken Bake Recipe
This is a favorite to throw together because it really is so simple and it’s always a winner with the family. The pasta, chicken and vegetables all bake together in the pan, and it makes for a simple freezer meal that can be baked from frozen.
- 4 ounces gluten-free uncooked rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 cup milk or water, if dairy-free
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes oil drained and chopped
- 4 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups Tuscan kale shredded (or spinach, chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Italian blend or mozzarella work well; or dairy-free)
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9x9-inch baking pan. In the pan, combine pasta, flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, red pepper flakes, broth, milk, and sun-dried tomatoes. Gently stir until no flour clumps remain. Scatter mushrooms and chicken breast over mixture and season with remaining salt and pepper. Cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
Gently stir mixture and return to oven, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
Stir in kale (or spinach) and shredded cheese, and return to oven for 5 more minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
Cook as directed, then stir in the kale and cheese and allow mixture to cool completely before covering tightly with foil. Freeze up to 2-3 months.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Add ½ cup broth or water and stir. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until warm throughout. Uncover, stir again, and cook for 5 more minutes (you can top with additional cheese at this point).
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.