Gluten-Free Sweet & Sour Meatballs Recipe
On Game Day Sunday, as a kid, I don’t really remember making it past the first half or even being all that interested in football. But man, did I look forward to Game Day Sunday in our tiny apartment. My mother would make a bunch of snacks and we would have a “picnic” on the floor. This version of a favorite Game Day recipe is healthier than store-bought versions and is grain-free, too!
Gluten-Free Sweet & Sour Meatballs
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound 90% ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons 100% real fruit berry preserves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
For the sauce:
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 100% real fruit berry preserves
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all meatball ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition. Form into small balls and place on baking sheets. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- While baking, combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a low simmer.
- When meatballs are done, either coat them in the sauce or place toothpicks in the meatballs and serve the sauce as a dip. Or, for easy entertaining and to keep the food warm, you can put both the sauce and the cooked meatballs in a slow cooker on low for serving.
- May be frozen and reheated, if desired.
Check out the other delicious snacks from this spread:
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.