Gluten-Free Vegan “Crab” Cakes
If you’re a fan of crab cakes, this vegan version offers a great plant-based alternative that approximates the look and texture of the “real thing.” While I can’t vouch entirely for the flavor (I’ve never had actual crab cakes!), this hubby-approved appetizer does provide a “seafood-like” experience that’s delicious in its own right.
Gluten-Free Vegan "Crab" Cakes
- 2 cups well-cooked drained and rinsed chickpeas (about 1 large can)
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm either whole or chunks
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup chickpea flour sifted
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher or fine sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the chickpeas to break them up. Add the hearts of palm and pulse a few times more to blend, leaving some visible texture. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Using a large ice cream scoop or ⅓ cup measuring cup, scoop the mixture onto the baking sheet and flatten slightly to form patties.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping the patties about halfway through, until browned on both sides. Serve with gluten-free cocktail sauce or another sauce of choice.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.