Stovetop Macaroni & Cheese
You don’t need to rely on a box to make a great stovetop macaroni and cheese! This recipe can be made quickly and calls for ingredients you already have in your pantry.
- 8 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni (or small shape of choice)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1½ cups milk (whole or 2% is best)
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese
Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium pot. When the butter is melted, whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and mustard powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir well to combine. Serve hot.
Notes: Using room temperature milk will speed up the thickening process when making the sauce. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, you can thin it out with more milk.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.