Gluten-Free Thai Pantry Soup
I have always believed the best way to combat stress at dinner time is to have a well-stocked pantry. No other time in history has proven this to be truer. Stocking up (NOT hoarding!!!) on pantry items and condiments makes meal-time fast and diverse.
The following recipe can be adapted to what you have on hand. No chicken – no problem. Want it vegetarian – easy, just leave out the chicken and use vegetable broth. Use what ever kind of beans you have on hand and add whatever veggies you have. Use whatever kind of gluten-free noodles you have on hand. The main components that need to stay about the same to achieve the flavor in this dish are SunButter, tamari (or one of the other options provided), honey, and chili garlic sauce.
I love to make big pots of soup. They are comforting and can last for days.
Stay safe everyone – we will get through this!
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 carrots. sliced
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 cups gluten free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup creamy Sunbutter
- 2 tablespoons tamari, gluten free soy sauce, fish sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) chili garlic sauce
- 2 cans beans (garbanzo, white bean, black, pinto…) rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn (canned, frozen, fresh…)
- 2 cups cooked chicken , shredded
- 8 ounces gluten free pasta
- 2 green onions, chopped or ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots with a large pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
Add the stock, Sunbutter, tamari, honey, lime juice, and chili garlic sauce. Cook, stirring, until the Sunbutter melts. Add the beans, corn, and chicken. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Garnish the soup with chopped green onions or cilantro.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.