Coconut Bundt Cake
This Gluten-Free Coconut Bundt Cake is full-flavored and rich without being too heavy. It’s sure to be a hit with anyone who loves coconut.
- For the Cake:
- 1¾ cups (210 g) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon (5 g) xanthan gum (omit if your flour contains it)
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 cups (160 g) shredded coconut
- 1½ cups (340 g) butter, softened
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 cup (240 mL) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure coconut extract
- For the Frosting:
- 2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
- Pinch of kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) butter, softened
- 4-6 tablespoons (60-90 mL) heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) pure coconut extract
- ⅓ cup (30 g) toasted coconut or toasted coconut chips, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 325°F and generously spray a standard Bundt pan with gluten-free nonstick cooking spray, making sure to cover completely. Instead of nonstick spray, you can generously butter the pan and coat in gluten-free flour.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in the shredded coconut. Set aside.
Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add eggs and mix on medium-low speed until light and fluffy.
Mix in the sour cream and coconut extract until fully incorporated.
Add half the flour mixture and mix until mostly combined. Then add the remaining flour mixture and mix until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Use a spatula to smooth out the top.
Bake for 55-75 minutes or until a cake tester comes out mostly clean with a couple moist crumbs attached. Mine took 70 minutes but baking time will vary by oven and the size of the Bundt pan used (see notes).
Once the cake is baked, invert onto a cooling rack and let sit for 10 minutes before removing the pan. Then, carefully remove the pan and cool the cake completely before frosting.
To make the frosting, add the powdered sugar, salt, butter, 4 tablespoons heavy cream, vanilla, and coconut extract to a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to mix until combined. Add more cream, if needed, to reach your desired thickness.
Frost the cake and then garnish with toasted coconut.
1. I used shredded sweetened coconut in this recipe but unsweetened will also work.
2. This recipe was written for a 10-inch Bundt pan, which is a relatively standard size. A 10-inch Bundt pan typically holds about 12 cups. Baking times will vary if you use a larger or smaller pan.
3. Store leftover cake, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.
4. Make this cake dairy-free with vegan butter in place of the butter (I used Miyoko’s) and dairy-free unsweetened plain vanilla yogurt in place of the buttermilk (I used Forager Project Cashewmilk Yogurt).
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.