Honey Hoisin Grilled Corn & Sticky-Sweet Grilled Chicken Skewers
So I’m brainstorming recipe ideas the other day and a phrase from the Lowe’s commercial keeps running through my head: “outside is open” it says. Hmm … good point. Outside is open and it’s mighty beautiful. In fact, my backyard is looking rather inviting, if I do say so myself. The temperatures here in Florida are piping hot but the pool is glistening, so it’s a nice balance out there. I thought what better way to take advantage of the bright, sunny days than with a backyard barbecue.
Instead of the classic barbecue, I decided to put a twist on some backyard faves – chicken and corn on the cob.
Made with Kikkoman gluten-free hoisin, gluten-free soy sauce, butter, honey, and few extras, the corn is absolutely amazing and so flavorful. What’s really fun is you can braid the corn husks for a cool presentation. Sprinkle the corn with furikake (a Japanese seasoning made from dried fish, sesame seeds, chopped seaweed, sugar, and salt) or sesame seeds and some cilantro and you have a real treat!
The chicken skewers are made with Kikkoman teriyaki marinade, apricot preserves, and a few additional ingredients to create a knock-your-socks off skewer that you’ll want to make again and again!
Honey Hoisin Grilled Corn
- Preheat grill to medium, 350 degrees.
- Soak corn in warm water for 10 minutes. Peel back the corn husks, leaving them attached, and remove the silk from the corn. Separate the husks into thirds and braid.
- Combine the butter, hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, and lime juice. Brush the corn with the butter and grill, turning often and basting with more butter until the corn is cooked and starting to get grill marks, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the corn to a serving platter and sprinkle with the furikake and cilantro.
See this recipe in action!
Gluten Free Sticky-Sweet Grilled Chicken Skewers
- ¾ cup Kikkoman Gluten Free Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
- ⅓ cup apricot preserves
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves and stems , very coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Kikkoman Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , grated
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper , seeded, deveined, and minced
- 2 pounds boneless , skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 skewers
- Fresh cilantro leaves and grated lime zest , for garnish
- Stir together the Teriyaki sauce, preserves, ¼ cup cilantro leaves, lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and jalapeno in a medium bowl. Reserve 1/3 cup mixture and store covered in the refrigerator.
- Place chicken and remaining Sticky-Sweet Marinade in a large resealable bag and seal well; refrigerate for 2 hours (or up to 24 hours).
- Allow reserved marinade to come to room temperature. If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bag and discard bag and marinade. Thread chicken onto skewers. Cook on a well-oiled grill over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer from grill to a platter and drizzle with reserved marinade. Garnish with cilantro and lime zest, if desired.
See this recipe in action!
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.