Easy Tortilla Soup
Ever want the flavors of a taco but the comfort of a steamy bowl of soup? That’s where this Easy Tortilla Soup comes to the rescue. With savory flavors and crispy tortillas on top, this is a satisfying soup that you can serve alongside a salad for lunch or dinner.
This soup uses shortcuts such as a rotisserie chicken and enchilada sauce. Enchilada sauce uses flour or corn starch as a thickener, so make sure to get a gluten-free brand. I used Hatch red enchilada sauce and their diced tomatoes with green chilies. If you don’t feel like frying the tortillas, another shortcut is to just use tortilla chips.
Leftover can be stored in the fridge and reheated. It is just as good, if not better, the next day.
Easy Tortilla Soup
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil , divided
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can Hatch Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can Hatch Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, undrained
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- Avocado slices
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken, discard, and shred the chicken meat. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, enchilada sauce, and diced tomatoes with chilies. Raise the heat to high, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, make the tortilla strips. Cut the tortillas into thin strips. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add one layer of tortilla strips at a time and cook until golden brown, about 15 seconds per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and repeat until all the strips are fried.
- After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, add the chicken, beans, and corn. Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes or until fully heated through. Serve the soup topped with the tortilla strips and any additional toppings you like.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.