Tofu Tempura with Ponzu Dipping Sauce
April is National Soy Foods Month, a month dedicated to encouraging people to enjoy the only plant-based protein that is a complete protein, containing all the same essential amino acids as animal proteins. So, if you’re looking to enjoy soy, this Tofu Tempura with Ponzu Dipping Sauce recipe has soy in two ways – tofu and the sauce – making it a great choice!
Check out more gluten-free tofu recipes.
Gluten-Free Tofu Tempura with Ponzu Dipping Sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup rice flour
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cold sparkling water
- 6 tablespoons Marukan Ponzu Soy Dressing with Yuzu Citrus
- 1 green onion , thinly sliced on the diagonal
- ½ teaspoon white sesame seeds
- Put a couple layers of paper towel on a cutting board, place the tofu on top, add a couple more layers of paper towel on top, place another cutting board on top and add something heavy such as a couple of soup cans. Let sit for 15 minutes to extract moisture. Pat dry. Cut tofu into 16 equal sized pieces.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy pot and heat to 350 degrees. Have a paper towel lined plate nearby.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the sparkling stir well. Dip the tofu into the tempura batter and carefully lower into the hot oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to the paper towel lined plate.
- Put ponzu sauce in a serving bowl, add a few pieces of the green onion and the sesame seeds. Garnish the tofu with the rest of the green onion and serve.
Watch this recipe in action!
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.