Gluten-Free Green Chili Cheeseburgers
The first official weekend of summer is here, and what better way to kick it off than by grilling some burgers? These Gluten-Free Green Chili Cheeseburgers are everything you want at your next backyard barbecue. Packed with flavor and a kick of heat, these burgers will not disappoint.
The star of the show on these burgers is the green chili salsa. To make it, all you need is onion cilantro, agave, salt, pepper and, of course, green chilis (I used two cans of the Hatch Diced Green Chiles). You can use mild for a bold flavor or hot if you want to spice things up!
To make the burgers, divide your ground chuck into four equal portions, and make an indentation with your thumb in the middle of the patties (this is my trick to make sure it’s evenly cooked.) After brushing both sides of the patties lightly with oil and seasoning with salt and pepper, grill for four minutes, flip and cook for another two. Add your cheese and cook until it has melted.
If the weather is too humid for grilling, you can take the burgers inside. Cook the patties on a large skillet on the stove over medium-high heat for about four minutes per side. During last two minutes, top with cheese and cover the skillet for melty, cheesy goodness.
Check out more gluten-free burger recipes.
Gluten-Free Green Chili Cheeseburgers Recipe
- 2 (4 ounce) cans hatch diced green chilies, mild or hot
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds ground chuck (80/20)
- Vegetable oil
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 gluten-free hamburger buns
- Combine the chilies with the onion, cilantro, agave, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Divide the ground chuck into 4 equal portions and shape into patties about ¾ inch thick. Make an indentation with your thumb in the middle of the burger patties. Brush both sides of the patties lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature while the grill heats.
- Prepare a grill for direct and indirect heat and per-heat to medium-high. Oil the grates well. Grill on one side over direct heat with the lid closed for 4 minutes. Flip and grill with the lid closed for another 2 minutes. Move the patties to the indirect side of the grill. Top each patty with a slice of cheese. Close the lid and grill for another 1 ½ - 2 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- If desired, brush the cut sides of the burger buns with oil and toast over the direct side of the grill for 1-2 minutes.
- Place one patty on the bottom of each bun, top with the burger, and then spoon on the green chili salsa.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.