Move over ham, this Holiday Brisket recipe is a delicious gluten-free, Paleo-friendly main dish you can serve instead of ham at Christmas.
Holiday Brisket Recipe
- 1 (4-5 pound) flat-cut brisket
- Kosher or fine sea salt , to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions , sliced
- ½ pound (227 g) carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs , diced
- 6 cloves garlic , sliced
- 1 cup (240 mL) dry red wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup (85 g) dried plums (prunes), roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons (5 g) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) fish sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Season the brisket all over with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then sear the brisket on each side for 4-5 minutes until browned. Transfer the brisket to a plate.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 6-7 minutes.
- Pour in the wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits.
- Add the tomato sauce, prunes, thyme, fish sauce, and bay leaves to the pan and stir until combined. Bring to a low simmer, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the sauce into the bottom of a large roasting pan, then nestle in the brisket, fat side up. Tightly cover the pan with foil and transfer it to the oven.
- Braise the brisket for about 4 hours, or until it is completely fork tender. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves from the roasting pan and skim any fat off the surface of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Thinly slice the brisket against the grain and arrange it on a large platter. Spoon the sauce on top before serving.
Holiday Brisket Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 563 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g40%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Vitamin A 5141IU103%
Vitamin C 11mg13%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.