Gluten-Free SunButter & Jelly Bread Pudding
If you’re having house guests stay over this holiday season and those house guests include children, you’re going to need some recipes you can turn to that will help distract the young ones while you and the rest of the adults wrap presents, decorate, or otherwise unwind. This SunButter & Jelly Bread Pudding recipe takes that childhood favorite – peanut butter and jelly sandwiches – and turns it into something new and fun for the kids.
Instead of peanut butter and jelly, this is SunButter and jelly – that way it’s nut-free! I used organic SunButter but you can use the organic or creamy variety. If you want to lower the sugar on this recipe, you can use coconut sugar instead of regular sugar and use a jam that is low in sugar. This bread pudding is delicious and creamy and full of nostalgic comfort!
Get more gluten-free kid-friendly recipes.
Gluten-Free SunButter & Jelly Bread Pudding Recipe
- Butter or non-stick cooking spray
- 14 slices gluten-free bread
- ½ jar organic or creamy SunButter
- 10 ounces strawberry jam
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Make 7 SunButter and jam sandwiches, spreading the SunButter and jam thickly. Cut off the crusts and cut each sandwich into 4 squares. Place in a greased 9-inch skillet or gratin pan in a single layer.
- Whisk together the half-and-half, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Pour over the mini sandwiches. Gently and lightly press the sandwiches down, making sure they get fully soaked in the cream mixture. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and let the sandwiches soak while the oven preheats.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and the custard is set. Let sit for 5 minutes, then dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.