Gluten Free Cowboy Salsa Recipe

by Carol Kicinski on June 21, 2011

Gluten Free Cowboy Salsa It is not often that I start to make something with no idea of what it will end up being but when I began this recipe all I really knew was I was in the mood for black beans, the recipe had to be gluten-free and I was having a house full of guests the next day for a casual barbeque. Fortunately my son took one look and said “oh great, you made Cowboy Salsa!” Well, alright then, Cowboy Salsa it is!

Whatever it is called, it is so tasty and really couldn’t be easier. I started with a package of Hurst Family Harvest Black Chipotle Lime Black Bean soup mix; it contains nothing but dried black beans and natural flavorings, and then added some corn, diced tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and just a smidgeon of olive oil. I also added some spicy pickled carrots for heat. You can find the carrots in the Latin section of some grocery stores or Mexican markets, if you can’t find them, just leave them out and maybe throw in some pickled jalapeno if you like your food on the spicy side. The fact that the beans contained a  gluten-free flavoring packet already just made the dish even easier.

While my family preferred just scooping it up with some gluten-free corn tortillas, this Cowboy Salsa is just as tasty as a side salad and really good topped with a piece of grilled fish or chicken.

Start this recipe the night before you plan to serve it.

Gluten Free Cowboy Salsa

Gluten Free Cowboy Salsa Recipe

Ingredients

1 package Hurst Family Harvest Chipotle Lime Black Bean soup mix
1 red onion, diced
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 – 14 ounce can sliced pickled carrots, drained (optional)
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
Juice of 2 limes
¼ cup olive oil
Kosher salt & pepper to taste

Directions

Rinse and sort beans, reserve the flavor pack. Place the beans in a large pot and cover with 2 inches of warm water. Allow the beans to soak overnight or at least 4 hours. Drain the water from the beans and fill the pot with fresh water, at least 8 cups. Add the flavor packet, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let beans cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Drain beans.

Combine the cooked beans with the remaining ingredients and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Servings

This Gluten Free Recipe Serves 8 – 10People.

“I love your gluten free recipes - I can now have my desserts.” – F.R.

Categories:    Appetizers

Debbie June 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

I have been making a version of this for years and love it. We call it Cowboy Caviar, I add avocado to mine. Love it

Carol Kicinski June 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oh! Avacado would be great! And I love your name better :)

Shirley @ gfe June 22, 2011 at 7:30 am

The pickled carrots are a surprise. Not sure how I’d like them, but this salsa is so pretty, Carol. Cowboy salsa or caviar … either way, they sound and look good. :-)

xo,
Shirley

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Thanks Shirley. Maybe just try the carrots! I find them addictive. Even make my own (recipe to follow someday!).

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat June 22, 2011 at 8:38 am

I don’t know that I’ve ever bought pickled carrots before! But I’m sure they add a fun bite. I think I love just about every salsa ever created, and adding black beans leaves me feeling more satisfied after fewer chips. :)

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I agree Heather, more black beans less chips – at least in theory :)

CassidyS June 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

Looks great! I hope my grocery store carries the soup mix :)

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I find it in my local grocery store Publix. Good luck.

Angie Halten June 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I love the bright colors of this salsa. Now I just need a mojito and I’m set!

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Ok, you bring the mojitos, I’ll bring the slasa and we are set for a party!

Maggie June 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I am also a salsa lover, and a bean lover so I would happily enjoy this salad/salsa/vehicle for chips :) I’ll be looking for the pickled carrots and the soup mix! And I love that you can make it a day ahead. Perfect recipe.

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks Maggie!

glutenfreeforgood June 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Spicy pickled carrots? Really? That’s a new one for me and I live in Latino/cowboy country. Wow, I’ll be checking out the Latino grocery for this little tid-bit. I’m thinking this mixture would also be divine heated and served in a nice toasted corn tortilla. You may not have know what you were going to do when you started this “recipe,” but I’m thinking it’s an awesome launching pad for all kinds of tasty meals. You’re a genius and I don’t think you even know it. =) But, that’s what I love about you.
Melissa

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Oh thank you Melissa! Honestly I just loved it eaten with a fork as a salad too. Love the tortilla idea!!!
xo

InTolerantChef June 23, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I wish we could get some of those great sounding ingredients over here! The salsa looks so yummy!

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Hmm, maybe I need to make a trip down under and bring Mexican food with me. :)

The Healthy Apple June 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Love this recipe, Carol. This is perfect for my gluten-free BBQ tomorrow; I’m going to serve it with gluten-free tortillas and as a topping for salads and tacos. Cilantro and lime make the perfect combination; love the flavor they bring to this recipe. Thanks Carol!

Carol Kicinski June 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Thanks and have soooo much fun at your bbq!